Educational Support Fund
The Educational Support Fund is a sub-fund of the Community Foundation which is dedicated to assisting the students in our area in accessing quality education at third level.
Rural students face many hurdles in transitioning to third level, not least of which is financial hardship.
As Kate Buxton, Director explained, “the reality is that before they even take their seat on the first day at Uni or TAFE, it’s likely that they would have spent at least $5,000 on books, stationery and other materials, a laptop and accommodation bond.”
“Over the last five years, the Community Foundation has awarded 38 students over $85,000 to assist in their education and we are always honoured to be a part of this key transition in the lives of the students in our community”, explained Ruth Rogan, Executive Officer.
Who can apply?
- People enrolled in or intending to enrol in their first year of a recognised course of study in 2019. This must be an approved curriculum and course at an Australian post compulsory institution that is recognised by Australian educational authorities.
- Applicants may apply for funding for the first year of a second recognised course of study at an Australian post compulsory institution, but these will be considered as a lower priority.
- Residents of or people with a strong demonstrable connection to the Mirboo North District.
- Australian citizens or permanent residents (evidence is required).
What can the Support grant be used for?
The support grant can be used for:
- Approved curriculum and post compulsory education courses at an Australian higher education institution or registered training organisation that are approved or recognised by Australian educational authorities.
- Expenses related to living away from home (including rent / board)
- Expenses directly related to the course being undertaken (e.g. Books, laptop materials)
Applications for students commencing studies on 2019 is now closed.