Support Funds for your 1st year of Tertiary Education
The Mirboo North & District Community Foundation (‘our Community Foundation’) was established in 2010 as a fund to invest the proceeds of the sale of Mirboo North’s community aged care facility. Our Community Foundation applies the income generated by this investment to the benefit of Mirboo North and its district, including Boolarra, Yinnar, Thorpdale, Mirboo, Dumbalk, Hallston, Allambee and Mirboo North.
Our Community Foundation also receives other donations and bequests for investment and distribution to the Community, offering individuals, families, groups and corporations an easy and satisfying way of giving something of real value back to the community that they care about. The Education Support Fund is a good example of this, it a sub-fund within our Community foundation which was launched in 2013. It was created to address the financial hardship rural students face when enrolling in post-compulsory education such as TAFE or university. seven local students were awarded grants in 2017 to help them commence their tertiary studies.
‘Financial hardship that families and students face is one of the most significant barriers for rural students. Before you even take your seat on the first day at uni or TAFE, it’s likely that you’ll have spent at least $5,000 on books, stationery and other materials, a laptop and your accommodation bond.’
The principal contributor to this sub-fund is currently the Mirboo North & District Community Bank. Our Community Foundation is very appreciative of this generous on-going contribution from Mirboo North & District Community Bank and its commitment to this program. Other businesses and individuals can also get involved in this program and make contributions to the Educational Support Fund.
Educational Support Funding for 2018
We are delighted to announce that applications are now open for Educational Support Grants for local students commencing their studies in 2018.
Funding will be open to:
- Australian citizens or permanent residents.
- People enrolled in or intending to enroll in a recognised tertiary course of study in 2017, including TAFE courses.
- People with a connection to Mirboo North and district or a desire to live and work in Mirboo North and district now or in the future.
Funding will be awarded on the basis of:
- Equity: for example, students experiencing difficult circumstances, socio-economic disadvantage or hardship, a disability, medical condition or have special needs because of age, gender, ethnicity or geographic location.
- Merit: for example, academic criteria or non-academic criteria where there is sufficient connection with educational objectives (such as sporting or artistic ability where sporting or artistic pursuit is part of the curriculum).
Key dates for support funds are:
Applications Open 1st October 2017
Applications Close 21st November 2017
Interviews conducted (if required) 7 December 2017 to 20 January 2018
Grants awarded February 2018 (Subject to placement in the relevant course.)
Ruth Rogan will be happy to discuss the criteria and conditions with any potential applicants.
Contact Ruth Rogan:
m | 0418 301 092
w | www.mirboodistrictfoundation.org.au
As a community member you may like to help our District students by donating to the Students Educational Support Fund.